· How much am I sweating while I am training?
- The level of perspiration definitely varies from individual to individual. As you go through a training session, pay close attention to your level and rate of perspiration and gauge/assess your needs based on that day’s workout and gather patterns for the next time you train in those same conditions.
· What are the conditions I am training in? Is it cold, hot?
- Conditions play a major role in how much you will sweat. Obviously, if it is scorching hot outside you will be sweating like crazy. But also don’t forget that in cold conditions, when you are all bundled up for that run, you are still sweating, and the level of perspiration could be deceptively high.
· How long am I going to be training?
- How long you are being active will dictate the volume of fluids you should be drinking. A rule of thumb is that you should drink a full water bottle for every hour of training. So make sure you pack enough water or hydration drink to last for your entire workout or race.
· Your workout environment’s effect on perspiration?
- If you are in a controlled environment, such as a gym with poor air circulation, you will tend to feel like you are sweating more. In contrast, when you exercise outdoors, you receive the benefit of cool breezes to help cool you down. Don’t let this fool you, though, because this doesn’t mean you are sweating less or more, just that you might be more comfortable. Visually you might not be able to see the perspiration on mild/windy day but you are still sweating so remain vigilant and committed to your hydration plan.
· When to hydrate?
- We should be hydrating constantly. It’s just as important to hydrate properly before and after a workout or race as it is during the activity. Don’t neglect your body, give it what it needs to perform.
· Side effects of improper hydration
- Poor performance or lack of peak performance
- Dehydration - Dizziness, goosebumps (on hot days), disoriented
- Cramping of Muscles
- Imbalance of essential vitamins
Could Potentially BONK!!!